Why You Should LOVE the Olympic Lifts....
Published June 5, 2017
There are 10 components to Physcial Fitness, as described by Greg Glassman. They are ....
- Cardiovascular / respiratory endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility – The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance – The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
The Olympic lifts address all of these, even stamina, as witnessed when you cycle the lifts for multiple reps. I can't think of any other movement that addresses multiple facets of fitness as well as the Snatch, Clean and Jerk.
If you want to become a better athlete, and want to get the most bang for your buck, the Olympic lifts should be a staple in your training.
At Top Gun CrossFit, we have 2 days where we concentrate on the lifts - take advantage of them and become a better CrossFitter !!